Sunday, December 09, 2007

Holiday Lights At ShoreAcres

Last holiday season Ducky and I had wanted to take Burp south to Coos Bay for the Festival of Lights at Shoreacres State Park. The last time we’d gone (I don’t do Coos Bay often) was when the girls still lived at home – so sometime in the early nineties. Some changes have been made. The pictures come from the Shoreacres website.

Burp at age six, we figured is perfect for the lights. I mean what kid isn’t? At fifty-one I still marvel. Both Ducky and I had to work early (he leaves at 4am,) and he still didn’t get home until six (it’s a long commute), so we didn’t get on the road until almost 6:30pm. Burp and I had been at the radio station before 6am, and worked on our Christmas Message. So between work, shopping (he found beautiful bracelettes for his mom) a visit to Big Pa and Big Ma's and hair cuts, it was a full day and poor Burp was pretty worn out. I mean he immediately fell asleep in his jump seat. Poor kid.

We arrived at Shoreacres at 8:15pm to see the new LED’s glowing the most wondrous colours. The bright blues were amazing, but even more amazing were the new light sculptures. Flying pelicans, diving whales, leaping frogs, and spawning salmon were decked out in rope lights that were time triggered to create movement in the sculptures. If you look close you can see the flying pelicans left mid picture.



The temperature was 35, Burp had been asleep, so the poor kid wasn’t really enjoying a lot of the great, colourful out of doors. Poor kid just wanted to climb into be and back to sleep. But we did a grandchild death march through the forest of fabulous lights in there bright blues, purples, greens, reds, golds, ambers, and all in between.


So very much worth the hour and a half drive and $3 parking to walk in the forest of lights. Maybe next year we can do it again, but start out earlier so Burp will stay away and enjoy the whole trip, the cookies and cider in the keepers house, the carolers in the performance gazebo, and dinner afterwards. He does remember, which surprises the heck out of me.

Maybe next year

Merry Christmas
Cele

7 comments:

Jazzy said...

Cele,

Love the pictures!! They really bring out the Christmas spirit!

Hope you are staying dry in your neck of the woods! How much rain did you get? Hope it wasn't too bad.

Gunfighter said...

Hi,

I found my way here via jmtewkesbury...

I love the lights... very soothing (I'm a Christmas-y kind of guy)

GF

An Enlightened Fairy said...

Ooooh. I love the pictures as well. I am glad that you enjoyed the lights, even if Burp wasn't totally on board.
What a great grandma you are!! I wish my grandma could have done things like this with me... but with over 40 grandchildren one on one time never happened. :)
Merry Christmas to you and yours, babe.

JulieAnn said...

Watch for tomorrow....I am going to do Talk Thursday a day early so you have a day to think on it.

Great post. Made me warm...

xo

JulieAnn said...

Talk Thursday

Comfort in Chaos

Cele said...

The lights were awesome and the LED's? I've gotta get me some, the colours - fabulous.

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Beautiful, fantastic lights. Wish I was there!