Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Now folks this is rejuvenation… right after my back quits hurting

It was our weekend with Burp, and sadly Ducky had to work. This was made worse by our plans to take Burp to the third annual Wings and Wheels event, something Ducky was really looking forward to. Earlier this week we did a story on tide pools and it reminded me how incredibly long it had been since I’d been to the tide pools or that matter the beach. Is this the wrong time to mention I live a mile as the gull flies from the ocean? Really. Ages since I’d been to the beach.

So at eight Saturday morning Burp and I headed north to the tide pools of Bob’s Creek (that’s about 18 miles north of Florence.) A beautiful spot that is made up of sand and basalt rocks, Bob’s Creek is a bit of a rocky access, next time we will go further to Neptune and maybe even Cape Perpetua.


There is no trip north of Florence that doesn’t require a picture of the Heceta Head Lighthouse. Or five.


The difference with this tide pool adventure is that we were both armed with cameras. And we both had blogs to write. We were both wearing bad footwear, honest next time I’m buying myself a pair of watersox just for the occasion.

The day was beautiful. We arrived at the tidepools just at low tide. Honest, if low
tide had been at say 9 to 10am we’d have had more time, but I didn’t drag my butt out of bed until 7:30. After two or three bad starts on the rocky beach we finally made it to some good standing pools. In just over an hour we discovered…

Both the Green Anemones shown to the side and Aggregating Anemones (shown in a picture below - very similar.)


Hermit Crabs (okay just one crab in this picture, but honest there were more.)


Ochre Sea Stars (both orange and purple) look close, while the orange one is front and center basking amid the barnacles, there are purple ones above and beyond him.


California Mussels and Gooseneck Barnacles.



Coraline Algea, seagrass, rockweed, and bull kelp. You can see the Aggregating Sea Anemones in this one too. We also found periwinkles, limpets, and several sea snails. But no sea cucumbers. Drats!

Besides being a fabulous morning, I got to spend it with one of my favorite people on the whole earth, who turned out to be pretty darn good at tide pooling.

I'm blessed.

Sith,
Cele

0 comments: