Monday, January 18, 2010

Talk Thursday: Ambiguity

Late and out of order, my apologies.

2010 – has become my year of setting the record straight. I am completely fed up with mass emailings from “Friends” filled with the latest recycled lies. I’m usually all for recycling, but really people get a life, get a clue, get out of my life.

Several weeks ago a “friend” sent me an email filled with a bunch of crap. Sadly, I have long deleted the email and my reply, complete with the truth and links where they can find the supporting stats to support my “facts”. I then sent email out to not just the idiot who sent it to me, but also to the other fifty or so people he’d mass mailed to. I actually got one thank you back. Whoa, dude. Delusional, I thought that was it.

Then about a week later a “friend” sent me a mass emailing filled with crap about President Barack Obama. I’m now on a mission. It took me, maybe, fifteen minutes to find the information I needed before mass emailing back to her and those she’d massed mailed. This time I kept my emails just for this post.

Please, note the link to Snopes at the bottom of her post, I love how all the bad emails encourage you to check it, but none ever do or they’d have not sent the email (maybe) in the first place. Idiots. And I’m tired of being told I’m not a Christian, because I disagree with Pat Boone and his tribe of Uber Christian Sheep.

I am a Christian (Quaker by choice, raised Presbyterian). Which leads me to sorrow that I didn’t ask her why in this case bearing false witness is an acceptable Christian action – en mass?

Here is my reply –

From: Cele [mailto:cele@celebrindal.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:22 AM
To: Rabid Uber Christian
Subject: Re: The President Without A Country. 6

Rabid Uber Christian,

I don't know if the truth about the following makes a difference to you, it certainly does to me. So, annoyed as hell at getting these emails (from many sources) spewing half truths and lies I've decided to wage my own truth campaign. Please keep reading. If you want more information
about the truth, check out FactCheck.org it is a non profit, non partisan fact check organization. Then go to snopes.com - the website that is posted at the bottom (of your original email) for verification about what I am posting as the truth.

In each case the quote was either misquoted or taken out of context and cannot stand as presented by Pat Boone. I can deal with the fact that many Americans don't like our current president enough to give him a chance (gosh at least more than 365 days) but really hatred should be based of fact not blind ignorance – or worse, ignorance by design and
choice.

Pat Boone's commentary shouldn't be read by anyone, unless they are studying how to twist or omit words in a campaign of deceit and lies.

Cele

Note: The following addresses only Mr. Boone’s misrepresentation of President Obama comments, the actual editorial from Pat Boone has been redacted, but can be found online at World Daily Net. The Snopes link only validates the attributions of the editorial as being from Pat Boone, but can find no documentation validating his claims. Words in bold below are Pat Boone's or misquotes from his email - aka - his first post at some news blog.

The President Without A Country
By Pat Boone

"We're no longer a Christian nation." - President barack obama, June 2009
What the president said was this...
Obama, June 28, 2006 (prepared remarks): Given the increasing diversity of America's population, the dangers of sectarianism have never been greater. Whatever we once were, we are no longer just a Christian nation; we are also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation, a Buddhist nation, a Hindu nation, and a nation of nonbelievers.
Fact Check

"America has been arrogant." - President barack obama
What the president said was this...
Mr Obama said: "In America, there is a failure to appreciate Europe's leading role in the world. "Instead of celebrating your dynamic union and seeking to partner with you to meet common challenges, there have been times where America has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive."
Telegraph

"After 9/11, America didn't always live up to her ideals."- President barack obama
What the president said was this...
"And finally, just as America can never tolerate violence by extremists, we must never alter our principles. 9/11 was an enormous trauma to our country. The fear and anger that it provoked was understandable, but in some cases, it led us to act contrary to our ideals. We are taking concrete actions to change course. I have unequivocally prohibited the use of torture by the United States, and I have ordered the prison at Guantanamo Bay closed by early next year."
Huffington Post

"You might say that America is a Muslim nation."- President barack obama, Egypt 2009
What the president said in an interview with a French journalist was this...
"Now, the flip side is I think that the United States and the West generally, we have to educate ourselves more effectively on Islam. And one of the points I want to make is, is that if you actually took the number of Muslim Americans, we'd be one of the largest Muslim countries in the world. And so there's got to be a better dialogue and a better understanding between the two peoples."
Fact Check

Thinking about these and other statements made by the man who wears the title of president. I keep wondering what country he believes he's president of.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/patboone.asp

Here’s Rabid Uber Christian’s reply,

----- Original Message -----
From: Rabid Uber Christian
To: Cele
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 11:05 AM
Subject: RE: The President Without A Country.

With or without Pat Boone's commentary, I have felt that our president is leaning towards a one world government. I can not quote a direct comment, only that I feel he is not the patriot that I was taught to be. I have fiercely loved America since I was a grade schooler. In Obama's early schooling he wasn't even in the United States. Time will tell us what his plan is. In the mean time, I will respect his office as president in this great nation (Christian).
I do realize that the internet is a cesspool of miss information.
Wishes for a great new year.
Rabid Uber Christian (yes I was nice to remove her name)
P.S. I didn't mean to step on toes


I love that she has a problem because he wasn’t even in the United State when he was in early schooling. She on the other hand has no qualms nor questioning her vote for a man who was born in Panama (which she shouldn't, but really fair is fair when questioning in ignorance) and a woman who is an international policy expert because she thinks she can see Russia from her house. (The distance from Wasilla, in southern Alaska and Russia is 749.963 miles.) Good eyesight. I on the other hand can not see Russia it is over 3,000 miles away and my vision gets blurry.

God bless the blind ignorant Uber idiots of this world (Christian, Pagan, of Self-Righteous,) because they need all the help they can get. This is my war for 2010.

Cele

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Pat Boone is an idiot..... and if I had any of his albums... I would burn them and chant some non-karma inducing mojo at him. Your post inspired me to find out more about this guy. I read one article, and ohhhh boy that was enough...

I would love to introduce you to this cute little story he wrote..... and point out that if the moron had the kind of education that he is so loudly decries perhaps he would know that lesbian love affairs can't beget a child. WTF! Does he understand what the word lesbian means? Or did he never get the birds-and-the-bees talk?

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=57775

foundinidaho said...

Amen, sister. Amen.

I actually did something similar to this the other day. If only I'd had the cojones to do it when my cousin sent me the "Obama is the Antichrist" e-mail.

I hate Debby Boone too, just for "You Light Up My Life" alone.

Cele said...

Psam, I am glad you are wiser. I was pretty amazed at how widely his spewings are taken for legit.

Fii, good girl. I've not gotten the Obama Antichrist email, but if I do, I'm on a mission now. Gosh and I thought it was just me who hated that song. Glad to see you back around.

Unknown said...

749.963 miles? I never bothered to actually check and just figured she was rubbish anyway (didn't most people?) but that's just absurd.

The distance to the horizon (the point at which the earth curves so much you cannot see anything beyond the curve) is roughly 8 miles assuming a stance of a person of average height standing AT sea level. So maybe she wasn't standing at sea level, right? Wrong. Even from the tallest mountains in the world you can't see that far in crystal clear weather. This just cements the "Sarah Palin is an idiot." theory that I had.

I get those emails all the time - the little chain emails about historical figures that are either misleading or wholly false. Examples are the "Captain Kangaroo and Mister Rogers were snipers" email and the "Abraham Lincoln and John F Kennedy are eerily similar" email.

At least in the latter, SOME of the facts are correct, but a lot of them are either historical misconceptions (such as the implication that Abraham Lincoln was heavily concerned about civil rights) or flat out wrong (names and dates that were completely false).

But people will believe, anything, won't they? I've gotten my share of junk knowledge emails and false mass emails and people are so happy to feel like they've learned something that no one else knows - that if you question it, they get defensive. It's crazy.