Sunday, December 28, 2008

Here is 99 Things To Do Meme

I’ve not done a Meme in a while, and this is one I saw first Pomp, then at Wry, and now it is here for me. BTW Pomp’s blog is never, ever lame – despite what she says.

Here is 99 Things To Do (some I wonder why someone would want to do, and several I hope to do someday)…

1. Started your own blog (you're reading this right?)
2. Slept under the stars (who can sleep when you’re watching stars?)
3. Played in a band (you have to play an instrument, I sing back up)
4. Visited Hawaii (what’s all the hoopla?)
5. Watched a meteor shower (watching stars is one of my favorite things to do, preferrably from my hot tub – but meteor showers totally rock.)
6. Given more than you can afford to charity (it is the only thing toodo)
7. Been to Disneyland/world (several times it’s lost it’s allure)
8. Climbed a mountain (but riding the ski lift to the top of Bachelor during the summer was pretty damn kewl too.)
9. Held a praying mantis (I’ve never even seen one, does African Walking Stick count?)
10. Sang a solo (oh God, horrors from my childhood)
11. Bungee jumped (I would love to do this, but maybe reverse bungee)
12. Visited Paris (no, but I’ve been to Munchen, London, Copenhagen, Edinbrugh, Stuttgart, York, Frankfurt, Amsterdamn, and Salsbury.)
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea (amazing and terrifying all in one moment, but in truth flying through a lightning storm was the scariest.)
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch (yes – stain glass)
15. Adopted a child (does an angel tree or big sister count on this one?)
16. Had food poisoning
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty
18. Grown your own vegetables (I use to have a vegetable garden every year, but a flower garden is much nicer and you can eat nastiuriums)
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France
20. Slept on an overnight train
21. Had a pillow fight (yeah, duh)
22. Hitch hiked (maybe I shouldn’t have said yes, because after the car stopped for me I refused to get in and walked anyway…oh but my girlfriends (akhem) got in and rode away.
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill (I’ve not called in sick to work in over 28 years.)
24. Built a snow fort (I’m lucky enough to live where you can build an emanciated snowman about once every five years.)
25. Held a lamb (yes, and my very first photo I took was of a lamb)
26. Gone skinny dipping (yes, wow, what a feeling.)
27. Run a Marathon (run, ha ha)
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice (does a gondola at Disneyland come close?)
29. Seen a total eclipse (did the whole layers of film negatives, hole in the box thingie, and watched it in reflecting water too.)
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset (two of God’s many gifts - not to be missed)
31. Hit a home run (I played league softball, but I don’t think I’ve every hit a home run, that’s something you’d remember right? I do have specific painful memories of softball, see below)
32. Been on a cruise (someday)
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person (I know people who have, okay I know that doesn’t count.)
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors (definitely, can I go again?)
35. Seen an Amish community (I’m Quaker…okay I know that doesn’t’ count.)
36. Taught yourself a new language (I’m assuming that failing Spanish seven years in arow doesn’t count, right?)
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied (it is the place to be, it is a place in your heart and I am definitely there)
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person
39. Gone rock climbing (it’s too athletic for me these days, but I use to love rock climbing. Not the pick ax - piton type, but still several hundred feet up, standing on the top of the earth over looking the desert, wow that’s kewl kind of rock climbing.)
40. Seen Michelangelo’s David (it doesn’t say in person, so beautiful photos – yes)
41. Sung karaoke (several times, did I mention I’m a back up singer?)
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt (yes, and it was beautiful, stinky, and not on time)
43. Bought a stranger a meal in a restaurant (no, but I’m going to rectify this)
44. Visited Africa (I hope to someday)
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight (definitely not over rated, never done enough times)
46. Been transported in an ambulance (I am very lucky that way)
47. Had your portrait painted (ha ha, thank God no.)
48. Gone deep sea fishing (several times, barfed the first half of the ride, and saved great memories for the second half)
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person (that would be kewl)
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris (nope, but I doubt it has anything over great big rocks in the desert)
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling (someday – okay this would be why people go to Hawaii right?)
52. Kissed in the rain (you haven’t lived until you’ve kissed in the rain while skinny dipping.)
53. Played in the mud (yes, and lived to play in the mud another day)
54. Gone to a drive-in theater (many times, while hiding others in the trunk of the car. Sadly in Oregon I think only one drive in remains.)
55. Been in a movie (no, but I have been on television many times)
56. Visited the Great Wall of China (some day, I’m looking forward to great Chinese)
57. Started a business (yes, a Tidy Car franchise, what a waste of good time and money - why would a person who believes that if a car needs to be washed, it needs to belong to someone else would buy a car detailing business? Oh, right, exhusband.)
58. Taken a martial arts class (I always wanted to try kick boxing)
59. Visited Russia (no and I can’t see it from my front porch)
60. Served at a soup kitchen (yes, did I mention I was a Girl Scout for nine years?)61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies (see above)
62. Gone whale watching (ha ha yes, many times, and it is Whale Watching week, so come see me I will take you to watch whales. California Gray and Humpbacks are making their annual migration right now)
63. Gotten flowers for no reason (I send myself flowers every month, my treat to me)
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma (I am not allowed to, but I gave blood a few times before the cut me off because of bruising.)
65. Gone sky diving (I so want to do this)
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp (yes, heart rending)
67. Bounced a check (some banks won’t let me in the door – but I have changed my ways and am fiduciari-ly responsible now.)
68. Flown in a helicopter (yes, in Germany to see the Chec border)
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy (I have my Barbie doll)
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial (I am waiting for my personal tour by Tewkes)
71. Eaten Caviar (people do that willingly?)
72. Pieced a quilt (yes I have pieced a quilt, no I have not built a quilt. Does anyone want my squares?)
73. Stood in Times Square (no, sadly)
74. Toured the Everglades (no, sadly – wait, snakes. No, gladly.)
75. Been fired from a job (Yeah! no. Laid off, yes.)
76. Seen the Changing of the Guard in London (yes, way kewl.)
77. Broken a bone (yes, playing softball (catcher) I slid on the wet grass, sat on the ball and broke my coxxic - note, still got the runner out. Broke my right foot parasailing. Note do not parasail on the beach when there is less than 5mph wind, or your brother in law is driving the tow vehicle.)
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle (yes, gladly)
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person (truly one of the greatest sites and experiences of the the world, a must do for anyone in the area.)
80. Published a book (I’ve worked on several books that are published…and my name is in them, does that count? Kind of? Like riding the coat tails of others?)
81. Visited the Vatican (really, don’t want to.)
82. Bought a brand new car (over rated experience…twice.)
83. Walked in Jerusalem (this I would like to do)
84. Had your picture in the newspaper (yes, and it wasn’t a wanted posted)
85. Read the entire Bible (yes, but I like to reread the gospels the most)
86. Visited the White House (again, I’m waiting for a personal tour)
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating (killed no, prepared yes)
88. Had chickenpox (ha ha yes, of course)
89. Saved someone’s life (yes, I heimliched an elderly woman who was choking on a piece of candy – hey it was at work – in a nursing home. Her daughter still says something kind to me when I see her – that was thirty years ago.)
90. Sat on a jury (several times – you come do despies drunk drivers even more than normal after you hear them say “Excuse me/pardon me/could you repeat that? Fifty times on their arrest tape)
91. Met someone famous (several times, did you know they put their pants on the same way you do, they just do it in a spot light.) My one boast is that George Winston seranaded me on my 50th birthday (no he didn’t know it was my birthday – which made it sweeter)
92. Joined a book club (they never chose books I would have chosen.)
93. Lost a loved one (my father one year ago tomorrow – but he’s not the only one)
94. Had a baby (yes, she is beautiful)
95. Seen the Alamo in person (no, but I’m going)
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake (why would people do that?)
97. Been involved in a lawsuit (no)
98. Owned a cell phone (I don’t own a cellphone, my boss owns my cellphone)
99. Been stung by a bee (ouch, yes)
There you go. Now, wasn’t that fun?
See? Blog. Lame.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent answers!

Now, I must do something about that lame blog of mine...

Anonymous said...

Quite the extensive list! It looks like you've complete close to 80% of these. Have you since seen or heard from your girlfriends since they hitchhiked that day? ;-)

Cele said...

Mable your blogs are some of my favs, so write more, but I beg you don't give it up. You're inspiring.

Steve, I did see them later that day, they were perfectly fine. Oh, wait so was I. I guess I'm just a scaredy cat. That was the closest I came to hitch hiking.